Surveys & Audits
We aim to ensure that a customer’s asset is safe and fit-for-purpose. Our extensive surveys give customers the big picture. We can even recommend measures, based on the survey results, to resolve any defects and we tailor the survey scope to our customers’ requirements.
Professional inspection services are critical whenever the custody of goods transfers between buyers, sellers and traders. We undertake all sorts of cargo surveys, including:
- Cargo damage surveys
- Pre-shipment condition surveys
- Inspection of vessel’s holds, hatch covers & tanks
- Bunker Quantity Surveys
- Liability claims handling
- Container damage surveys
- Cleanliness inspections
- ISO tank inspections
- Loading/unloading supervision
Moreover, we also perform lashing approval for project cargo and advise on the carriage and lashing of yachts.
Surveying and investigative services are essential to establish exactly what has occurred, the extent of any damage, cause and consequential financial impact, and to determine potential recovery rights.
We have considerable expertise in providing surveying and investigative services to P&I clubs, and hull, machinery and cargo insurers. We have a dedicated team of master mariners, marine engineers, naval architects and other marine and engineering professionals. Whether the casualty involves a grounding, engine failure, collision or major cargo damage, we offer the technical know-how and speed of response essential to successfully protect your interests.
We provide independent assessment and investigative services for disputes involving project financing, contractual or insurance related issues and political intervention.
Port State Control and ISM inspections can be intensive and costly for those who are unprepared. But when they are anticipated, coordinated even, they can be manageable and efficient, with fewer delays, shorter inspections and better results. Our team’s knowledge of technical and regulatory requirements — SOLAS, MARPOL 73/78 & Annexes, STCW, ILLC, ILO, BCH/IBC Codes, ISM, IMSBC Code and HSC — prepares our clients for their inspections.
We can conduct ISM and ISPS training and internal audits. In terms of ISM we can write safety management systems, procedures, risk assessments and checklists, whereas in terms of ISPS we provide security management systems, procedures and checklists.
We have extensive experience conducting all forms of condition survey on any type of vessel. Our services in this category span:
- Pre-purchase Surveys
- Pre-Entry Surveys
- On/Off Hire Surveys
Marine Warranty & Towage Approval
We attend to marine warranty surveys and engineering reviews, essential components in reducing the risk of loss or damage in three key areas:
- Mobile offshore drilling units, including location approvals, wet and dry tows and field moves
- Construction projects, including reviews of planning, design and execution of critical operations
- Marine operations such as ocean tows, heavy lift projects, cargo stowage, and modelling and analysis of other marine operations
In every case, you will benefit from a consistently well-researched, quality-assured approach, using our considerable expertise and experience to identify risk and advise on measures to mitigate and minimise it. To provide operators and contractors with independent verification of procedures, we review technical documentation and undertake on-site inspections. We take pride in offering the highest technical standards of work, and that we communicate our findings and recommendations effectively.
Each risk assessment survey is different, and for each assignment we agree with you the scope of work, which can be for a single facility or an entire asset. We generally provide these services for proposed or existing insurance arrangements, offering participants to the insurance contract a realistic and clearly communicated view of the assets at risk. Our work can include:
- A physical risk survey to identify assets and their exposure to natural and man-made risks, along with recommendations for improvement
- Analysing the condition of facilities and the effectiveness of maintenance programmes
- Developing and calculating Estimated, Probable or Possible Maximum Loss scenarios
- Analysing business interruption exposure
- Assessing the values at risk by desktop research and attendance on site, where needed
Our expertise covers a broad range of onshore and offshore oil and gas installations, plus industrial and commercial assets.
Dynamic Positioning Consultancy
Through the services of an associated company, we provide expertise to cover the entire DP spectrum including:
- Failure Modes & Effects Analysis (FMEA) – Writing DP FMEA’s and proving trials for new buildings, conversions and upgrades, all to class approval, then conducting the proving trials. Updating FMEA’s after annual trials
- Writing and conducting annual DP trials
- DP Operations Manual – We write vessel specific DP Operations Manuals, which will meet class approval. The contents will also include all IMCA recommendations. They include ASOG CAM and TAM. They are written to be easy to read and understand, with the operators standing instructions included as required.
- Conversions and Upgrades – We provide a class specific gap analysis for DP conversions, such as from DP class 1 to DP class 2.
- DP incident investigation
Our surveyors are based in Malta as well as in the UK, but we are available for assignments worldwide.